Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure that involves moving individual hair follicles from the back of the scalp, known as the “donor site,” to the “recipient site,” which is bald or balding.
Hair transplantation is a treatment for men and women who have severe hair loss, thinning hair, or bald spots where hair no longer develops. It’s also used to treat male pattern baldness (MPB).
Genetic factors and the hormone DHT are the most common causes of hair loss and baldness in men. Male pattern baldness is characterized by a receding hairline and increased scalp exposure, revealing bald areas.
A progressive thinning of hair at the crown, or very top of the skull, can also occur in men. Hair loss in women is most frequently caused by hormonal changes, and it is more likely to be a thinning of all hair on the head.
Transplants may also be used to replace hair that has been damaged due to burns, trauma, or scalp diseases.
So in this article, Dr Ankur Singhal who is one of the best hair transplant doctors in India will discuss the advantages & disadvantages of hair transplant.
Genetic factors and the hormone DHT are the most common causes of hair loss and baldness in men.
Advantages of transplant:
- Transplantation is a hair restoration operation that involves the transplantation of your own hair taken from the back of your head. It develops on its own. The hair is the same color as your natural hair. Hair development usually begins after two to three months. It takes 8 to 10 months for it to recover.
- The art of hair transplantation has come a long way. Transplantation can be done in a variety of ways. Follicular unit transplant (FUT) is one procedure that involves removing a strip of skin from the back of the scalp, dividing the follicular unit, and replanting it in a specified region. On the back of the head, a longitudinal scar is still visible. A good surgeon will always aim to keep the donor area scar as minimal as possible.
- Follicular unit extraction is another specialized surgical procedure (FUE). This is a process in which each individual hair is extracted and replanted in a specific region. The effects are long-lasting and excellent. Despite the longitudinal scar seen in FUT, small tiny dots can be seen on the back of the scalp.
- Hair transplants are a perfectly normal and secure procedure. There are no special chemicals or drugs used in this phase that could damage your hair. Hair transplant surgery is the most natural of all hair growth processes. The effects are so natural-looking that most people won’t be able to tell you had a hair transplant.
- Hair transplant surgery also provides you with hair that is very manageable. You don’t need to use any special shampoos or additives to preserve the density of your transplanted hair because it works exactly like your natural hair.
- Consider hair transplant surgery if you want a long-term and permanent cure to your baldness.
- The most significant advantage of a transplant is that a person regains his or her interest. Handling the transplanted hair is easy and painless. It is up to the user to keep it in good working order. He can paint, oil, and wash it, as well as style it.
- Candidates also report life-changing outcomes; their appearance may look younger, and they feel more optimistic and open to new social experiences.
- Hair transplants help to cover bald areas with natural hair that does not require any upkeep. It enhances a person’s self-esteem and physical appearance.
Disadvantages of transplant:
- It is important that the applicant undergoing transplant be in good general health. It is most commonly prescribed for Androgenic Alopecia, which is a progressive, irreversible condition, so it is important that the individual is aware of it.
If hair loss is hereditary and a person receives a hair transplant at a young age, such as 20 to 30 years old, hair loss can persist after surgery, necessitating treatment.
- It’s a surgical procedure that’s done under local anesthesia. The consistency of the current donor region has a major effect on the transplant’s success.
- It takes time to heal. Total recovery takes 8 to 10 months, so it is a time-consuming process.